Monday, April 6, 2009

Vegan Outreach

When I became vegan, it was because I was mad... mad that I'd spent my whole life avoiding addictive substances and behaviors. The idea that I was truly addicted to cheese, as I'd often stated in jest, sent me over the edge, and I have not looked back. I have been happy with my decision. Pizza tastes better without cheese, as does a salad, chili, sandwiches, and everything else I used to believe needed just a little cheddar or feta or swiss...

However, during the past year veganism has introduced me to not only a new side of myself, but also new requirements in my daily living. I believe that the beautiful thing about veg*nism is that you get to define your own state of being. There is no wrong way, or right way, no one looking over your shoulder waiting to chastise you for making the wrong decisions. Throughout this journey, I've discovered that I have become addicted to myself. I want more for myself. I want organic beyond my food. I want to eradicate the abuse of not only animals, but people through my purchases. No longer do I feel a thrill at getting a good deal at Ross, now I feel exuberant because I found a great hemp/tencel blend skirt that's machine washable for under $40 at Mountains of the Moon. It was worth searching for three days to find an organic curly hair product that is free of everything from proteins to parabens.

Yes, I spent my whole life avoiding addicted behaviors, but I'll happily forgive myself this one... For I am addicted to giving myself the best, inside and out...

No comments: